Monday, September 10, 2007

Blogs and Distance Running

Question: What do blog happy hours in DC and Half-Marathon events in Chicago have in common? Exactly. Nothing. So ask me again why I decided it was rational to attempt to do both in the same weekend? I have never felt more physically miserable than I did coming around the bend of the 13th mile, hamstrings buckling, awash with self-generated brine, than I did yesterday on the heated pavement of those glorious Hyde Park streets.

Rather than blaming my own lack of preparation (the truth is less comical), I have decided to blame my new friend INPY. Four shots into the night he cackled mischievously, "You aren't getting on that plane to Chicago tomorrow...mwaa haa haaaaaaaa."

IMG_3598

That being said, in my effort to remain more elusive and poetic than my DC Cookie alter ego, my recap is simply this: Thank you. I was surprised how absolutely decadent it was to see everybody again, and to be flirted with so egregiously before my impending marriage. You all made me feel like the Queen I most certainly am not. My gratitude is immeasurable and my spirit humbled.

And I'm sorry to have missed Barbara, the most gracious and inspiring blogger in our community of verbal artists - thank you again for your thoughtfulness - I adorned my hair with the ribbon from your gift for the remainder of the evening.

I would say "see you next month" but in lieu of attending an October happy hour, I will instead be lying on a chaise lounge on a powdery Indian Ocean beach, beside my new husband, with a dexterous Seychellois resort employee kneading out the tension from my still-aching hamstrings...

12 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

I am, if nothing else, an amazing enabler.

Barbara said...

So sorry to have missed you, but glad you could put those colorful ribbons to good use!

Anonymous said...

So good to see you, albeit briefly! Best wishes and congrats again--I know you'll make a beautiful bride!

Anonymous said...

This was my exact quote on Thursday at 1:24pm, a full day-and-a-half before the HH:

"i have never know anyone who was able to do ONE shot with [INPY], let alone run a 1/2 marathon that weekend. but good luck with that, jess."

Great to see you again, gorgeous.

NA said...

That is amazing.

I'm glad I finally met you!

Anonymous said...

Ah my darling, it was so wonderful to spend time with you. And you deserve that vacation. With your husband. :)

I-66 said...

Sorry, a dexterous what?

Blogger happy hours are not complete without a CookieHug©

Jessica said...

I should have specified that our honeymoon destination = The Seychelles (and then a stop in Paris for a week).

Namaste said...

whoa. when is the october happy hour? may have to represent for two of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Jess! I hope it went off well. Congrats again & Good Luck! 'VJ'

Phil said...

Yes, I too assume your nuptials were properly sealed before the eyes of the Lord, and you and your now husband have seen each other naked for the very first time....

Congratulations

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.