Thursday, February 21, 2008

Alma Mater

Tonight I stood at the front of a room full of ravenously inquiring brilliant minds; young, hopeful, yearning. I began [paraphrase], “Interesting that our firm is presenting to you this evening in this location; I have quite the fond memory of this room because it was within the very same chairs almost 10 years ago that I sat where you are today…” RRRRRiiiiii!!?? [That, if not plainly evident, is my alphabetical representation of a record scratching violently to a halt]. 10 years? Has it really been that long?

What I recall from that fateful 1998 fall evening in the warm confines of the student union building, where I drank hungrily the words of my future colleagues, was pure, intimidation-brimmed excitement. The hymen-tearing “I want to do that” experience; raw, unjaded desire. These consultants represented the brass ring; the fruit of my academic labours. Their delivery was effortless, their passion unparalleled, their culture so obviously unprecedented.

And now I am the embodiment of everything for which I vocationally ached. At least, that’s what I’d like to imagine I exude as I speak with as much confident energy as I can muster to an audience full of Me Juniors; the only thing separating me from them being the words “10 years”. Their drive, their naiveté, it’s so sweetly enviable. The soul of my younger self perches playfully on my right shoulder and mocks, “Oh, for these students to be flies on the wall of your subconscious right about now...”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped doing these sorts of events because I was always battling myself to keep a tight lip. If I could tell them what I was really thinking, instead of the corporate line, I would have said, "don't listen to a thing I say. Go out there and line up some credit and go build your business and chase your dreams right now. Don't spend the next six years putting together other people's financial reports. If you want to go to graduate school, here's how to do it... x, y, z." I guess that's what living is about. I now understand my father's advice.

Namaste said...

I remember you as a 3rd year. Ha. Two words: Booth 22. A damn shame that we can't go back, knowing now that it only gets better. :)