Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Citizen Canadia

My heart has been burdened since I discovered the one thing I swore up and down I would NEVER do is going to be a requisite sacrifice of my marriage. To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in common citizenship…I will be taking a vow of loyalty, duty and support of the man I love. And as a result, for reasons irrelevant to my point, it appears I may be obliged to renounce my homeland; that extraordinary tundra of a moose-pasture that shaped my inner being.

I sport a maple leaf tattoo on my backside. I eat poutine and drink 2-4s of Rickards Red. Gord Downie’s voice makes me jizz. I cheer for the Olympic athletes in red and white spandex and I care which province wins the briar. I love the word eh? The joyful tears that sweat from my lashes each and every time I see my ‘welcome home’ sign are just one of the multitudinous proofs that I am the spitting resemblance of Stompin’ Tom Connors’ Real Canadian Girl.

IMG_3069

So why, if I have lived and loved in the United States for almost half my life, does the thought of being anything more than a green card-bearing, permanent resident give me such fits of heart burn? But for my sweetheart...I'll do what I need to.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Because where you "are" is not the same as where you're "from." Connections are fleeting enough as it is, and to have them cut in any way, even symbolically, stings a little (or a lot). I've lived in VA for almost half my life at this point, but DE is still home, even though none of my family lives there anymore.

Plus, depending on your politics, you might not be all that interested in claiming the US these days. But we're glad to have you. I promise that Strange Brew, SCTV, and Mike Meyers won't be any less funny afterwards, but it's possible that you'll find Alan Thicke a little bit more annoying. Or a lot.

Phil said...

Why do all the "good" Canandians wind up here in the first place? Because, duh, the U.S. is better. (Gretzky, Myers, Candy, Cookie, Rick Fox, etc.)

We would like to have Prince back, however.

Anonymous said...

Just be glad your hubby-to-be isn't North Korean.

Welcome back to the blogosphere!!

-jon

Namaste said...

wait...you can't keep the citizenship and be a dual citizen? if i were you, i would fight to keep it. seriously! have you seen Sicko yet? see it. then we'll talk.

honestly, i think this is worse than giving up your last name. i still really struggle with this.

love you girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Namaste on this one, but I realize that the whole politics of the situation has gotten really complicated & occasionally ugly on this point of 'dualies'. Cheers & Goood Luck, 'VJ'