Sunday, July 29, 2007

Please Don't Drink and Blog

…Or you could end up sending driveling text messages to your newly published author/friend about how proud you are of his accomplishments. For shame.

Bang
The Novel

There were several moments this weekend when I felt an unusual sense of joyful melancholy kick into gear. A bliss that provokes somber reflection. Little snippets of wonderful that make me contemplate how much has changed.

In the plush booth of a local lounge where my old blogging friends had gathered to get silly on screwdrivers and whiskey, I perused the introduction to an acquaintance’s debut novel and lamented not knowing better the man behind the verbal philosophies. I was touched when one of my favourite humour columnists praised my rhetoric so vehemently, but distressed that I cannot contribute daily. And again I slouched contritely when I discovered I had not attended such an event, at which I used to be a fixture, since November.

In the dressing room of the bridal shop as I zipped two of my bridesmaids and best friends into their simple, navy blue, chiffon dresses and admired their classic beauty, my smile felt unnaturally forced. It was a blithesome moment, but I felt a distance I wasn’t used to. I no longer know what is happening to them via the real-time play-by-play we used to have as roommates. Though I am the happiest I have ever been, supported unconditionally by my fairytale Prince Charming, I still need the women in my life. My work schedule is such that I am barely able to scrape together quality time with my fiancé; and as a result my girlfriends feel the greatest brunt of my absence. The growing pains that come with life’s milestones are to be expected and even though I struggle to find that one-on-one time that flowed so freely in our youth, I hope they know I love them just as deeply as I always have.

Interesting that every disappointment breezing across my thoughts this weekend centered on a single theme; time…and the regret for the way in which I prioritize it. I suppose that even as we go along our divergent paths, we always have our memories to ground us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time and distance will never separate us (as is evident by the fact that friends you've known for 20+ years are also in your wedding). We'll always be close chica, but alas yes another of life's milestones has been thrust upon us, but will never change what we shared :)

Anonymous said...

I hope I wasn't too much of a sycophantic (ever notice how close that sounds to psycho-fanatic?) but, having not seen you since November, was excited to catch up with you.
Thanks for coming, see you next time!

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly sorry I missed seeing you last Friday, but delighted to hear about the impending marriage and how happy it makes you.

Stay on the path that brings you fulfillment, and if others' paths are meant to cross yours again, they will. ;)

roosh said...

Aw thanks.

But i think you know more better than most

Namaste said...

love you girl.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have missed a Jessica-attended event, but I had something akin to the Bubonic Plague. Next time!