Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hooah

I am in the midst of boxing up my belongings (and thus, procrastinating) and I came across some items in our closet that inspired me to write a brief post: my husband’s old army ranger uniforms in crisp mint and olive. I couldn’t help but run my fingers across the finely pressed collars, yarn-sewn name tags and metallic decor. He served in his youth, long before we met; crawling through swampy murk, defusing land mines, diving through clouds, starvation, push-ups, chin-ups, blisters, frost bite. The words to describe my pride escape me. I married a hero.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're suitably impressed. But make certain that he's not deployable anymore now, right? I've known 65YO Colonels who were 'recalled' from retirement to fight in our misbegotten Bush wars. Cheers & Good Luck on the Move, 'VJ'

Barbara said...

When is moving day? It sounds like you are really doing this!

Anonymous said...

You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke.