Sunday, March 30, 2008

Welcome to Nevada

It’s amazing what kind of impact a 45 second change in direction can make. My choice of words is what some might deem ironic (although technically ‘non-impact’ and ‘on-course’ would be the ironic words) given their literal intent. The opening scene: 10am; pure, desert sunshine; crisp, dry, morning air; fresh squeezed orange/carrot juice; convertible top down; CD player set to a crooning Aussie rock band; open highway. A sip of juice and five minutes later another driver forgets to check his blind spot. The closing scene: squealing, fishtailing wheels; burnt rubber; blackened concrete wall; a skid mark spanning four highway lanes and a mangled, leaking, smoking car coming to rest on a bed of jagged rocks.

Scarlet
Aside: Does it seem strange to anyone that there are no airbags deployed in this picture? I will be having a long conversation with Ford on Monday.

That mental video clip has played over and over in my head at least 200 times today and I’m doing my best to avoid contemplating what ‘could’ have happened. I walked away unscathed as did each of my passengers. After the dust settled on my slightly bruised forehead, the tears commenced. I was unharmed and I could not have cared less about my mutilated vehicle. I was crying to drain the emotional panic that had erupted within me because I couldn’t see my husband for the entire 45 second duration of our accident. He had opted to spread out, unprotected across the back seat (giving his best buddy shot gun for our road trip). Until I heard my sweetheart’s voice from behind my headrest, after slamming head-on into a wall of concrete and spinning in a 360 across four lanes of oncoming highway traffic, I had no knowledge of his outcome. The idea of losing my universe of happiness was too much for my psyche to hold inside for long. Traumatic events are a frightening reminder to prioritize.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jess, I am so sorry and thank gd you guys are both ok. And hell yes, call Ford to find out how that is possible no airbags were employed. AHH!

Accidents are terrifying. I got in one with Chef a week before I moved and while not as huge as yours, it was the other drivers fault as well and I had the same reaction. Fear and emotion.

So glad you are ok.

Brian said...

Yikes. Glad to hear you and your passengers are all right.

This is why I want a helicopter. No other drivers to speak of, although parking would be more of a challenge...

Namaste said...

I am taking it as a priority to get to DC as quickly as I can next week...

I-66 said...

Holy shit.

I'm so glad to read that everyone is alright.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear everyone survived intact. That's the important stuff. The next important stuff is never to trust Ford with anything precious you care to protect. Airbags. 30yo technology. Really simple & basic Safety Equipment. Not many moving parts actually. I've got a 2000 Ford that does not 'do seat belts' well. Let's repeat that. Seat belts. 50-60YO basic Really Safety Equipment. If you're unable to design or manufacture these items on your vehicle, you really ought to be getting out of the business. It's as simple as that. Go to the NTSB and report this flaw & vital Safety Failure to them. More people need to know. I'm betting you're not alone either. Good to hear everyone came out of it reasonably well.

Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

Barbara said...

It wasn't your time to go. There are things to be done here on earth. I'm SO glad you are both OK. Sorry about your beloved car.

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe that photo. How scared you must have been, a convertible too. So glad everyone's ok. :)

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! Congratulations on making it through alive.

Washington Cube said...

Is that your beloved Miss Scarlett? The important thing is your loved ones, and yes, as we age we learn how truly fragile and limited our time is together on this planet.

It's unbelievable an air bag didn't deploy in all of that. Did the person who triggered all of this hang around or just blithely keep going down the road?

I remember once driving back from Annapolis on Route 50. I was in the far right lane. Two girls yakking away in the car next to me just started cutting right into where my car was...ran me right off the road.

In the words of Tim Gunn...carry on. The journey continues.

Anonymous said...

I was wrong. File a safety complaint here with the NHTSA:

[http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm].

There's predictably already a bunch of Fords there with similar issues. Although not many that actually fail to deploy. Like I said, it's really simple equipment & circuitry here! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'