Monday, June 18, 2007

A Friend Reminded Me

Can a woman proclaim to have an amigo she has never met? A warm, moustached man with a likely southern drawl who sends her Christmas DVDs every year despite her absence?

I went for a long run Sunday afternoon to clear my mind. I have been heavily burdened in the last few months by the weight of my inability to say 'no.' I work too hard. I determined a 5 month engagement was a reasonable amount of time to plan a cross-coastal wedding. I travel virtually every weekend to see friends and family dispersed across the Americas, leaving scarcely enough time to nurture the friendships in my own backyard. I rest my weary head on my pillow each evening waiting for the fast-forwarding of my life to wane.

The path I chose that particular afternoon took me through a Spanish neighbourhood of such amicable proportions that the gregariousness made me whimper with regret. Extended families lingered peacefully on every stoop, basking in the calm of the perfect sunshine. The children smiled coyly and the women waved their jovial 'holas' as I skittered past. That was what a Sunday evening should be; an icy lemonade at dusk in the company of mi familia. Somehow I have lost sight of that in the whirlwind of filler that is my current state of being.

I wondered then if I shouldn't consider writing again. Whether talented or not, it's the hobby I adore more than any other. And it was a masked amigo, one who has supported my creativity since the dawn, who coincidentally reminded me it was time for my return... So yes, though I have not [yet] shaken his hand in person, I will call this gentleman my friend simply because I am grateful for his support.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're at it again. It's such a great release just doing it for you.

It seems like some of life's greatest moments take place when you exhale.

Anonymous said...

WOW... So glad you're back!! Love the flow of your words - written or over the phone...

Phil said...

This person sounds vaguely familiar to me...

Kathryn Is So Over said...

welcome back!

missing you tons, I'm waving hola over here from my little swirling filler vacuum.

Anonymous said...

Lovely as usual daaw-ling, just loverly!

Its always a good idea to keep some focus on you!

c

I-66 said...

Welcome back, you.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy. I have missed your beautiful and vivid writing. And your lovely face. Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kassy on this one. Missed you & your writing lots. Good to hear about your great plans. OK way back here I'll also ask to update us on your fab sister too. I hope she's doing well also. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'