Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Am Not Bridezilla

No more than a year ago you may have spotted me in the middle of (or on the stage above) any local scene-ster dance floor, sharing many a Grey Goose and tonic with the shirt of my hunky male dance partner of the moment. I lived in the nightlife, faithfully, for the better part of my 20s, stretching my body to the legal limits of indulgence. You may have even been blessed to have met my counterpart; that wear-a-wig-for-no-reason, shot-pounding, bar-dancing, boisterous tornado of a socialite whose mastery of flirtation has saturated male egos across the globe.

I can’t imagine that anyone who played with me in my moonstruck glory would have pegged me to be the settled, stay-at-home mom type. But I met my match in a gifted man who could both keep up with me and calm me; follow me on every one of my whimsical paths and revel in my glow. There was not a doubt in my mind from the moment he first grasped my hand and smiled at me that I would love this man until I die.

And so, here I am, just a few short months away from proclaiming my vows of unconditional surrender in front of an intimate audience of family and close friends. The planning has been as effortless as the engagement. Despite the numerous hours of detailed research performed so generously by my mother, the decisions have all been simple and unanimous. At the end of the day, it’s not about the complexity of the invitation, the flare of the décor on the head table, the number of roses in my bouquet or the VW in the label of the dress. Our wedding is simply meant to be a celebration that happiness, the way Hollywood tells it, really does exist. Anyone who frets about the thread-count of the reception table napkins should really reexamine her reasons for saying 'I Do.'

3 comments:

Heather B. said...

I've been hearing from various sources how completely effortless your planning has been and that it's all just falling into place just perfectly. I am so freaking happy for you. Yay!

Namaste said...

"You may have even been blessed to have met my counterpart; that wear-a-wig-for-no-reason, shot-pounding, bar-dancing, boisterous tornado of a socialite whose mastery of flirtation has saturated male egos across the globe."

uh-huh. a tiger never changes his stripes. we're going to be dancing on top of the geriatric plastic chairs in the rec room one day, don't you worry...

love you, girl.

Anonymous said...

I thought the "counterpart" you were referring to was Namaste until I read it closer - and saw the link. :)

I fully believe that (for me) - I have to find a match who will both love and put up with my social butterfly nature, but also appreciate my extreme dorkiness and sitting at home spurts.

It looks like you, my friend, have found that.