Thursday, January 17, 2008

Are You There God? It's Me, Jessica.

Interesting that when I’m the most tired, I can’t fall asleep. My thoughts are as flippant and circular as the dryer currently spinning the last of my [formerly moth ball smelling] ski clothes. As the dust of my excitement settles and the certainty of my lease termination taunts me, I battle my nagging doubts solo, in what feels like a hotel bed. This is something I will have to get used to – spending multiple evenings separated from my husband’s thermal affection. I have a million fateful reasons to relocate, but the advocate devil perched atop my ear is fighting logic with claws bared. And, in the midst of this life-altering decision crux, I am headed to Colorado to escape. There is a message here somewhere: a sign, an admonition, a reassurance? Alas, a cryptologist I am not. Instead, I await the 4:30am alarm and wonder (with that same angst-y paranoia I have unwilling inherited from my superstitious grandmother) what is going to become of me when I leap deliberately from the security of my nest…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You start living with the leaps. And no nest is secure for long. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

Anonymous said...

Don't think. Leap. Those are the best kinds. At the finish line, you'll look back at the race that was, you'll ponder the body of work, and you'll know it is complete. Living and laughin, getting into the mojo go-fo, loving life in one place is great. However, wouldn't it be sad if at the end of the ride, you had a pang of regret that there were crevices you had not explored? So go... live. A friend of mine just sold everything she has and is moving to Zanzibar without a job prospect or place to live because, well, it just feels right. Write home, though.

Barbara said...

You aren't flying solo. You have good company who will most certainly miss keeping you warm when you are not there. Remember -- you can always come back!

But then, this is someone who hasn't moved in 30 years, so I'm not qualified to give advice!

Anonymous said...

do it.
don't think about it.
when you notice the second year is easier than the first, you're allowed to look back and think about what you did and why, and you'll have the clarity of hindsight, and the benefits will be more visible than what you can see when you close your eyes today.