Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Home Base

I’ve always likened myself an adventurer. I have the luxury of a job that affords me bi-weekly travel to any continental destination of my whimsical desire. This month: Toronto and Puerto Vallarta. I hop onto planes happily and frequently. Meeting new people, drinking exotic cocktails, becoming momentarily immersed into the language, cuisine and dance of foreign cities – I crave these things with constant pangs. Home for me is a comfortable resting place between voyages; a base for take off and landing.

Despite my ping-pong travel schedule, I can count on just one hand the number of times I’ve altered the latitudinal coordinates of my home base; each time never more than a long car ride away from a loved one. Yesterday, however, my sweetheart and I discussed the remote possibility of being whisked away to the land of the kiwis for the job of a lifetime. Still a direct plane flight to my parents’ peaceful California abode, but far, far away from the status quo I have built on the Atlantic Coast. With jittery nerves and a brave face I tell my love that I will follow him to the moon, because I will.

I wonder then what happens to the pangs of cultural curiosity when the adventure becomes the reality?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard they're still some cannibals over around there, and they still fly old DC-3's. And of course with the price of fuel, you'll only get back to the states once or twice a year. That's several hops too in those old birds.

But I'm the optimist in the family. Given the coming economic crisis, is the job going to be viable for how long? And if it's OZ, you know they're running out of water. And if it's NZ, well tell 'em that Michael Rockefeller says 'Howdy'!


Still, I've always had a special fondness for Kiwi's. The blokes all seem to be quite mad, in an endearingly quaint 19th century manner, and the women all tall & lovely.

And all that stuff they say about falling off the edge of the earth has just been debunked as more scary Bushista propaganda. (It's still in the books down here though).

Cheers & Good to hear of developments, 'VJ', ga.

roosh said...

I don't have the link but a recent study (i think by a condom company) showed that new zealanders are the most promiscuous in the world. it's obviously flawed (brazil)

Anonymous said...

There you have it. Always something to recommend the place besides the natural beauty, incredible scenery, & friendly people. New & more exotic & interesting STD's. The CDC needs more brave souls like investigator Roosh. Willing to sacrifice their bodies for science. Cheers, 'VJ'

Namaste said...

Not particularly loving the possibility of this news, but you know I'll be in the next plane out. :)

Somehow my gut tells me that we're going to end up neighbors.