Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's a Wonder I Don't Starve

It is with unfortunate biological chance that I did not inherit the gifted cooking genes from my mother’s side of the family. Thankfully my husband is a genius at the stove; even his drunken snacks at 3am involve the sautéing of exotic mushrooms with avocado oil and finely diced shallots.

But when my sweetheart travels, I am left to my own devices. Knowing that there is an elevated likelihood of all the Frosted Mini-Wheats in our house disappearing this week in his absence (for lack of other pre-made ‘instant gratification’ options), he set it up that I would have a series of delicious, reheatable portions of homemade turkey soup available for the duration of my brief solitude. Before packing for a trip to Puerto Vallarta (where I will be joining him shortly), he meticulously cut the last of the turkey from the bones and boiled the carcass into a flavourful stock. The only thing I had to do after dropping him at the airport was add the contents; an easy task, for someone who isn’t a bumbling idiot with a hot pot. How could chopping carrots and scooping grains of rice possibly go wrong?

Humbly, I am the living proof that it can.

First, I determined that celery, onions and carrots were not enough legumes for me. Why not broccoli, or better yet, cabbage? The pretty purple variety…that just happens to turn turkey broth into a veritable borscht (oops number one). And exactly how much dry rice should be added to a 10-quart pot? My un-cuisine-educated guesstimate was 3 overflowing cups, which unfortunately was at least double what was necessary (oops number two). So instead of turkey soup, I’m left to consume an indigo-hued rice casserole for the next three days.

I’m praying that my fatuous housewifery is recessive…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad... i probably would've done the exact same thing... :)

Anonymous said...

I had 2 thoughts here:

1.) That's love Cookie! Next time he'll be leaving detailed directions too.

2.) 10! qts! What army were you cooking for? Does anyone ever bother to Read the directions on the packages anymore? Consult a cook book? ask.com? Geez. It's a wonder you don't starve! This is where all those 'empty calories' from days gone by came in handy, right?

Cheers & have a fun vacation, 'VJ'

Namaste said...

I saw Lean Pockets at the market today. Thought you. Giggled.

Anonymous said...

I can only laugh (with you, of course)... was it at least better than your stir fry? :) Don't fret though, you're not alone - the only thing my lady can make is great reservations. When I don't cook and we don't eat together, she's stuck eating salisbury steak from the grocery store...

Got a great laugh out of your post. Have fun in Meh-hee-coe!!

Barbara said...

I'm happy to hear you are being so well cared for! You can always learn to cook if you ever want to. It might be fun to surprise your new hubby with a gourmet meal one night!

Heather B. said...

Tell him to hook you up with a freezer full of goods next time he leaves town.

Have a glorious vacation.